Secure and Private is a Process, Not a Destination - The New Professor, Episode 1 (2017)
In episode 1 of The New Professor, Ryan takes on best practices for privacy and security for all TNPs out there. Also, how to deal with University policies that might impact your user experience.
Some of the things I talked about in this episode include:
- Time to Kill Security Questions--Or Answer Them with Lies
- VPNs: Private Internet Access and NordVPN
- How to create your own VPN
- Senate staffers approved to use Signal app
- Using Google Voice with Signal
- Please Rob Me
- Password managers
- Pew Research Center: Americans and Cybersecurity
- xkcd password strength and Is xkcd right about password strength?
- VCU's new alternative to swipes? Iris cameras.
- BitLocker (Windows) and FileVault 2 (Mac) hard drive encryption options
- VeraCrypt (TrueCrypt successor)
- Avira and Sophos anti-virus software
- (Bonus: running a sandboxed virtual machine.)
Thanks for listening!
If you really like it and want to support the podcast by buying me a cup of coffee or a beer, that's cool, too.